Wednesday, September 29, 2010

A Recipe Worth Trying

It's quick. It's super easy. It epitomizes Fall. And it's SO very delish! It's (*dundundun*) Butternut Squash Pasta! It is a recipe most definitely worth trying, so I'm going to share it here. I've adapted this particular recipe from http://thefrontierkitchen.com/ just to liven the flavors up a bit. Because lively food is what I'm all about. :)

Butternut Squash Pasta Amazingness:

Serves 4
~1 lb. pasta, preferably whole wheat (whole wheat penne worked GREAT for this!)
~2 cups roasted butternut squash (cut squash in half, place cut-side up on baking sheet. Drizzle w/ EVOO and sprinkle w/ salt and pepper. Roast in 350F oven for like 45-60min., until knife easily inserts into the flesh.)
~1 pint heavy cream (yes, you are required to use cream. Trust me, it's for your own good.)
~1/2 c. (or more!) freshly grated Parmesan cheese (and I like to throw in a few Tbsps of whatever other cheese I might have on hand, such as Cheddar or Jack. Makes things a little creamier and, of course, cheesier!)
~4 Tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
~1-2 cloves minced garlic
~sea salt and black pepper to taste

In a large pot of boiling water, cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a food processor or blender, combine squash, cream, Parm/cheese, garlic, and 2 Tbsp. of the basil. Blend until creamy. Add salt and pepper to taste. Drain cooked pasta. Toss butternut squash sauce with pasta. Heat through. Garnish with remaining basil. Extra delish if you throw some grilled chicken and extra cheese on top!

SO easy, as you can see! Makes a great big batch, is SUPER hearty, and totally makes eating squash the best experience you'll ever have. Next time I make this, I might have to get a little rediculous and serve the butternut squash sauce over spaghetti squash. Look out!

I'm always on the look-out for quick and yummy Fall recipes. Feel free to share!

*~If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. —J. R. R. Tolkien~*

3 comments:

  1. Any alternatives in the mashing part of this for college students who don't own a food processor or blender?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Y'know, I just happen to have some B-nut squash on my counter right now. I was gonna use them for soup. But maybe this would be better.
    I still need to see your place - and now your dog! When's a good day/time? I'm usually homeschooling Noah til noon, and then we could come visit :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dana - i would maybe try cooking the squash a nice long time to get it realllly mushy. You could probably then just mash it up with a fork. Sauce might be a bit "chunkier," but if you don't mind that, I still think it would taste great!

    Jill - I'm SURE we can find an afternoon in the near future! I'm on my night shift rotation right now, but my day shift rotation starts soon and that might be a little easier to work out with you. I'll check the sched and let you know!

    ReplyDelete